Saturday, January 4, 2014

Yoga!

I did it! I got back on the yoga horse today. (Haha, a yoga horse. I would love to see that. Do you think it'd still be called "downward facing dog" if it was a horse doing the yoga? Is there a horse pose? Would the horse just call it a me-pose? So many questions!)

I've been feeling really crappy for the past week, and I always know that yoga makes me feel better, but of course, when you feel crappy, the idea of physical activity just isn't appealing, and that whole "get-up-and-go" part of self-care has always been the hardest part for me. Once I'm in a routine, I'm great at it. Not just great at the routine, but specifically, great at yoga!

I actually get really flexible, really fast! My last good round of yoga-ing, I had my heels on the floor in down dog and I could do all these poses:

Ankle-to-knee pose image via shape.com
Eagle pose image via shape.com (this one is harder than it looks!)
Pigeon pose image via fitsugar.com
King dancer pose via shape.com
Today, I could cross my legs and I could hold a plank for about 30 seconds, but my flexibility was totally shot. I fell out of one pose pretty hilariously - I was up and graceful (ha, yeah right!) and then suddenly my feet were higher than my head and I was laughing hysterically.

If you're not a yoga type but want to try it (New Years Resolution time, right?), I highly recommend the first season of "Yoga With A View" to start. Colleen Saidman does a great job helping you learn poses and stretches, and when you're ready, the second season, with Hilaria Baldwin, is a nice step up. The workouts are only 20 minutes long, too, which is perfect for me.

This particular one is my favorite, and it's the one I did today:


Anyways, at the moment, I feel better than I have in a while, and I"m sure lots of that has to do with yoga, although the adorable attempt the kiddo made at playing "hide-and-seek" today sure didn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment