Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pinterest Tutorial 1 (from someone who's very new at it)

So, I've been blogging and working with Ross on our new little business for almost 2 weeks now, and I've had a bazillion questions about all those kinds of things. And some of those questions had answers that were hard to find! So here is one of the things I've tried to figure out, along with the answer. I'll try to make this a semi-regular thing, as I figure out stuff that needs explaining.

How do I put a link to my Pinterest or twitter on my blogger or blogspot blog?

Ok, there are like 80,000 tutorials about how to do this, but none of them came with screenshots, and so I did the wrong thing about 30 times before I figured it out. So I'm gonna give this tutorial a shot, and see if I can make it make sense. Keep in mind, I wrote this so even my grandma could do with with minimal phone calls:

1 and 2. Go to Pinterest, and (1) click on the menu (upper left side, three horizontal lines, helpfully labeled with a 1 in the picture). Then (2) click on "Developers" down at the bottom (labeled 2!)


3. Click on "Pin It Button"

 
4. Click on "Widget Builder"


5.  Select "Follow Button"
6. In the "Pinterest User URL" window, replace the second "pinterest" (the one with the box around it) with your username. Do the same in the box underneath
7. Click "Build It"



8. A new little bit of HTML will appear. Select all of it with your mouse, then copy it by pressing "Ctrl" and "c" on your keyboard
 

9. Go to your blogger dashboard and click on "layout"


10. Click on "add a gadget." Pick whichever spot you want. I pointed out 2 of the options, but there are others.


11. Once you do that, a new window will pop open. Scroll down in that window until you see "HTML/Javascript." Click on that. (This was the part I had the toughest time figuring out. Don't click on that tempting "add your own" option at the top of the pop up window. It won't work. You'll get an error message that says "URL contains illegal characters," and no other explanation. Which is frustrating when you're new!)


12. In the "Title" box, type in "Follow Me on Pinterest!" or whatever else you want to call it. You can call it potato salad for all I care. But I think that might confuse people...
13. In the "Content" box, paste the code you copied from the Pinterest site (use "Ctrl" and "v" on your keyboard)
14. Click "Save"


And you're done! Check out your blog, and if you don't have a shiny new Pinterest widget on your blog, call someone who knows more about computers, cause I just gave you all I've got. This is how I did mine, after lots of trial and error. Hopefully you can follow me on Pinterest through the link. I've got my fingers crossed...if I did it right, I should be famous on Pinterest within weeks, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment