Monday, April 13, 2015

Ten obvious truths about educating kids that keep getting ignored - The Washington Post

Ten obvious truths about educating kids that keep getting ignored - The Washington Post



A reminder to myself - do what is good, not always what is expected.


I've been feeling in a rut about my teaching. Frustrated, overwhelmed, exhausted; all my creativity is being used on getting children at home to sleep and feel secure. I'm stuck in a pattern of Lecture, Reading, Quiz, Video, Repeat. Not my best work, but simple.



I'm about to embark with my sophomores on a month long research project, and I'm kind of dreading it. It's a wonderful project, full of deep learning, research, and self-directed investigation, but it's also messy, confusing, and consuming. And since I won't be teaching sophomores next year, it's hard to approach the project with the same sense of refinement and reflection that I have in the past.


But it's worth it. I'm happier with myself when I do good work, and that colors the rest of my world. So I'm hopeful that I will remember the information here:



-Memorization is pointless; students quickly forget

-Students learn better when they're interested in the topic

-If they know I care, they're more likely to do better.



I will not let myself be dragged down by the temptations of easy work, of low expectations from society, or the pressures from "reformers" to deliver reductive, linear education.


No comments:

Post a Comment